This winter, celebrity chef, author and restaurateur, Stefano de Pieri welcomes us into his own kitchen and shares some simple, down-to-earth, Italian meals we can all make at home. Are you looking to elevate your starter offerings for your dinner guests? Look no further than this classic salad of egg, mayo, and celery hearts.
Stefano is a champion of wholesome homecooked meals made in uncomplicated methods with fresh produce. Nothing fancy, but lots of flavour. And what better way to enjoy a home-cooked meal than with a glass of wine made to be enjoyed with food?
His namesake range of wines, exclusive to Cellarmasters, are elegant drops with bright fruit characters are ideal accompaniments to dishes like this.
Egg and Celery Heart Salad
Ingredients for Salad:
Celery hearts, peeled and sliced
2 soft boiled eggs
Ingredients for Homemade Mayonnaise:
3 egg yolks, fresh and at room temperature
Method for Soft Boiled Eggs:
Eggs should be fresh and at room temperature
1. Place 2 eggs - fresh and at room temperature - in cold water in a pot and bring to the boil then simmer for 4-5 mins (less for smaller eggs).
2. Plunge into cold water to stop them cooking inside.
Method for Mayonnaise:
1. Slowly add oil to egg yolks, whisking continuously until it emulsifies
2. Add lemon juice and salt, continue whisking
3. Once combined, add mustard to taste
Method for Salad:
1. With a peeler, peel celery hearts, and slice some smaller pieces for crunch
2. Add mayonnaise and toss through salad.
3. Cut eggs in half and add to salad
Serve with Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, or keep the Italian theme going with a zesty Fiano. Stefano’s Fiano is a vibrant fresh lemon and pear on the palate balanced with tight, zippy acids and a long crisp finish that will complement the crunch of the celery hearts while cutting through the richness of the mayonnaise and eggs.
Head to cellarmasters.com.au/tableofplenty for even more enticing recipe ideas, videos and articles to bring your wine journey to life.